Monday 6 February 2006

SSHRC Doctoral Proposal 2005

A draft of my 2005 SSHRC Doctoral Proposal can be found here: click here

I came in 3rd on the SSHRC waiting list that year, but no more funds were made available. I post this proposal here so that people can have a better understanding of how my research has developed over the years, and also for those who are attempting to crack the SSHRC system. I hope this helps in both of those regards, but please be warned that this 2005 proposal brought me the closest I was ever to be, in terms of receiving a SSHRC award. I did receive Ontario Graduate Scholarships, but never a SSHRC. I guess there's always the SSHRC Post-Doc to try for!

To help those writing SSHRCs, I guess I should let you know that I worked closely with a number of people who did receive SSHRCs and a few of my friends received CGSs as well. The keys to remember are to keep working at presenting "the complete package" of good grades, publications, conferences, and a well thought out committee of support. The proposal should also emphasize the need for your research in a well contextualized literature review; if you can get someone who has sat on a SSHRC committee before to look at your proposal, this is a great way to ensure a higher success rate. Also, another important item to emphasize is any collaborative aspects of your project -- who is working with you, and how many people will this research affect? Lastly, make sure your SSHRC forms and documents follow their latest standards -- they seem to change each year, and many schools offer workshops or advice each year on how to succeed at SSHRC and OGS applications. I recommend attending these workshops each year you apply because they offer insight into any standards that have changed.

Good luck in your SSHRC writing!!

No comments: